Pear and Blackberry Crumble
Posted on November 13, 2013 at 10:32 am by / Recipes
Using pears instead of apples puts a lovely little twist on the British classic pud. (serves 4)
- 4 large ripe English pears, peeled and cubed
- 100g golden granulated sugar
- 250g blackberries
- 200g Barkat gluten free flour
- 100g unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 85g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 100g demerara sugar
- Vanilla ice cream to serve
- Heat oven to 190C. Place the pears in a medium-size pan, add the sugar and cook on a medium heat until the fruit starts to soften (normally takes about 10 min. Add the blackberries and bring back to the boil, then remove from the heat. Spoon the fruity mixture into 4 individual ovenproof ramekins, or 1 large baking dish.
- Place the gluten free flour, butter and a pinch of salt in a large bowl and rub together with your fingers until the mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs. Add the pistachios and demerara sugar, then mix.
- Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the cooked fruit.(If you are entertaining then this can all be done up to 1 day ahead, or frozen for up to 1 month).
- Bake for 20-25 mins if small, 40 mins if large, until golden. If baking from frozen, add 15 mins cooking time.
- Remove from the oven, cool slightly, then serve with a big scoop of ice cream. Perfect pud for a cold evening.