Hot Cross Buns
The smell of mixed spice immediately rustles up memories of Easter with the family. So make sure all the family can enjoy these tasty treats with these delicious gluten free Hot Cross Buns.
- 500 g/1Ib, 2oz Barkat Flour mix
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 50g/2oz margarine
- 50g/2oz caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 sachet yeast
- 125ml/quarter pint warm milk
- 175g/6oz mixed dried fruit
- 50g/2oz Barkat flour mix
- Pinch of baking powder
- 100ml/4floz cold water
- 25g/1oz sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pinch mixed spices
*Mix together Barkat Flour Mix and spice
- Rub in margarine
- Add sugar and mix in
- Mix in egg
- Dissolve yeast in milk and water. Add to mix to form a soft dough
- Add fruit to the dough: mix well until evenly dispersed.
- Divide dough into 12 and mould into balls
- Place onto a greased baking tray, leaving room for the buns to expand
- Leave in a warm place, (covered with a plastic bag) for 45 minutes
- In the meantime, mix Barkat baking powder and water together and use to pipe crosses over each bun
- Bake in an oven set at gas mark 7, 210 C deg or 425 F deg for approximately 45 minutes
- Boil sugar, spice and water together. Using a pastry brush glaze the buns when they come out of the oven.
Enjoy with a cup of tea!