Posted on August 25, 2015 at 10:44 am by / Recipes
- 200g Barkat Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 1/4 tsp Barkat Xanthan Gum
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 100g Butter
- 1 Medium Sized Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 300g Icing Sugar
- Selection of Food Colouring Pastes
- Place your flour mix, xanthan gum, caster sugar, butter, egg and vanilla extract into a food processor and pulse until the mixture comes together.
- ALTERNATIVELY: rub butter into your dry ingredients until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, and then stir in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Remove mix from processor/bowl and bring the dough together into a ball.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius (160 fan) & prepare a couple of baking sheets (grease them).
- Remove the dough from the fridge and roll it out on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll it out to about 1/2 cm thickness & then, using a cutter, cut out circles. (my cutter was just over 6cm across)
- Place your circles on your baking tray.
- Using a smaller circle cut out a hole in the middle. (I used a just over 2cm cutter)
- Place in the oven for around 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden.
- Once slightly cooled, transfer to a cooling rack.
- For the ICING, place your icing sugar in a bowl & add a small amount of just boiled water.
- Mix the water into the icing sugar until it has a smooth, thick, spreadable consistency.
- Divide your icing into a few smaller bowls, and using your colouring pastes, colour your icing in different colours.
- Once your biscuits are 100% cooled you can ice them!
- Choose a colour icing and with a knife spread it across your first biscuit.
- Then, use a contrasting icing colour to drizzle over the top in lines or any pattern you like.
- Use a cocktail stick through the icing to feather the pattern. (This needs to all be done quite quickly as the icing will set)
- Continue to do this with all the biscuits. Use different colour combinations & have some fun!
- Leave the biscuits to set before you dive in.